Welcome to the homepage of the Optimization and Machine Learning (OptML) research group at Lehigh University! Please explore our page to find out more about our research, current and past people affiliated with the group, and about our recent seminar and reading seminar series.
- Spring 2017: Congratulations to Wei Guo for passing his dissertation defense!
- September 1, 2016: Katya Scheinberg has left for sabbatical for the 2016-2017 academic year. She will be spending half of the year at Google Research in New York City and the other half at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. At Google, she will be working with a machine learning research team on improving optimization algorithms for deep learning tools, as well as on other large-scale learning algorithms. At Oxford, she will be joining the Mathematical Institute as a visiting faculty member and joining both Balliol and Exeter Colleges as a visiting fellow. She will also hold a part-time visiting position at the new Alan Turing Institute in London. While in the UK, she will be focusing on research on stochastic optimization methods.
- September 1, 2016: OptML Faculty members Katya Scheinberg, Frank E. Curtis, and Martin Takac have been awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation’s Division on Computing and Communication Foundations, award number CCF-1618717. Their award is entitled “AF: Small: New Classes of Optimization Methods for Nonconvex Large Scale Machine Learning Models” and will run from September 1, 2016 until August 31, 2019.
- June 24, 2016: OptML faculty members Katya Scheinberg and Frank E. Curtis, along with Jorge Nocedal (Northwestern University) and Yoshua Bengio (University of Montreal), are organizing a workshop at ICML 2016 on Optimization Methods for the Next Generation of Machine Learning; see the announcement here. More details about the workshop can be found under Events or here.
- June 19, 2016: OptML faculty member Frank E. Curtis, along with Leon Bottou (Facebook AI Research) and Jorge Nocedal (Northwestern University), is giving a tutorial at ICML 2016 on “Stochastic Gradient Methods for Large Scale Machine Learning”; see the announcement here.
- March 4, 2016: Members of OptML attended the 10th Annual Machine Learning Symposium at the New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS). The symposium involved a competition sponsored by American Express, the winners of which included Wei Guo (overall winner) and Chenxin Ma (honorable mention) from OptML! (The 9th Annual Symposium had a similar competition, which was won by Zheng Han, a previous OptML member!)
- March 1, 2016: Welcome to the new website of the optimization and machine learning (OptML) research group at Lehigh University!